Category: Events | Post by: Andea Wong
If you've been reading my blog or Twitter feed for a while, you will have worked out that Wellington On A Plate
is my favourite foodie event of the year. Ok yes, it is partly because I
have a super-soft spot for our capital city: it is my birth place and
despite moving to Auckland, I spent many many school holidays tearing up
the streets of Newtown with my cousins.
The Wellington of my adulthood is very different to the Wellington of my
childhood. I now go to Wellington to eat (and visit rellies too, of
course). And this year, like the previous two years, a mid winter trip to Wellington means Wellington On A Plate.
The programme was released this week, with much excitement from us
foodies. The programme is packed full with 109 eateries signed
up to DINE Wellington (set menu specials), 64 Burger Wellington entries
(burger creations especially for WOAP) and 111 Festival
Events. Phew, that's a lot of eating!
I knew from last year, that some events sell out super-quickly – one of them being the hands-on pastry making workshop by Floridita's
Julie Clark. Since I couldn't make it last year, I made sure that I got
a spot for this year's class. And lucky I got in early because all six
of her workshops sold out in less than 90 minutes!
There are of course, lots of other events to choose from. And there's
something for everyone. From kids' events, to bake/cook offs, food
tours and classes, degustation meals and dining deals... and of course
burgers, don't forget the burgers! Wellington On A Plate is a great
excuse to gather some friends and try somewhere new... so what would I
Which events would I choose if time, money and waistline were no issue?
Sounds like fun
- Beef Wellington – see how a whole beast is broken down and learn where all the cuts come from. Bone and butterfly your own leg of lamb and take it home. Tastings and wine on offer too.
11 August. 12pm - 2pm. $75. Also sold out
- Dickens at Hawthorn Lounge – Readings of Dickens served with drinks inspired by his own recipes.
12 August, 21 August. 5.30pm – 7.00pm
- Julie & Julia – watch the movie, eat the food. This one sounds like a fun evening.
18 August. 5.30pm. $85
- Turduckenqua at The Larder – a turkey, stuffed with a duck, stuffed with a chicken, stuffed with a quail! This would be a great meal, but it's sold out already.
26 August. 6.30pm. $60
Cook your own. Kids' event
- Wellington Bake Club 2012 – grab some friends together and bake, bake, bake! New challenges each week. Win great prizes.
Register your team by 11 July. Free event.
- Bravo Brava – Submit your best rendition of salsa brava by 24 August. Best entry will win a dinner for four at Avida. Free event.
- The Amazing Food Race – like the TV show, but with food. Sounds like heaps of fun, shame I don't know of any kids I could borrow for a few hours!
12 August. 9.30am – 12.30pm. $40 per team
I have yet to choose my DINE Wellington picks, I'll update this post once I've studied each menu and burger creation.